10.18.2006

Back to Blogging and Other Ramblings

So, I decided to create an account on here. I need somewhere online to blog, I guess. I deleted my myspace and facebook accounts yesterday, so now I guess I'm going to use this to distract me again. I've been better about procrastinating and being motivated to do homework. I've done a lot of homework the past few days and it feels good. I'm doing really well in Greek, so that makes me happy. In my other classes, I'm doing decent - could be doing better, but I'm working on it.

I just did my prayer journal for Missions tonight, and I kind of cheated because I didn't actually pray - I'm bad, I know. But it's gotten me on a kick to see what's going on in the world. I feel so cut off and so absorbed with my own life in my LCC bubble. I didn't know there was an earthquake in Hawaii this weekend, or that North Korea actually did do a nuke testing on the 9th, or that we even had close to 300 million people in the United States. I'm going to try to make it a habit to everyday (or at least every once in a while throughout the week) to go onto cnn.com and check out what's happening in the world.

I also read tonight about how Tony Blair said that the veils that Muslim women wear are in part responsible for the growing alienation of Muslims in England. A Muslim teaching assistant was suspended from her job because she refused to remove her veil. As much as I disagree with religion of Islam and as much as I'm disgusted by the radical Muslims who choose to terrorize the world, I still have enough common sense to know that they have as much rights as the next person to worship how they want. And just because someone is Muslim does NOT mean that they are going to fly a plane into a building, or participate in suicide bombings, or blow up the subways in a city. By blaming the practice of wearing veils for this alienation, Blair himself is creating tension between the British Muslims and the rest of the country. Rather than pointing fingers, the British need to find a way to overcome the growing tensions between themselves and the Muslims. Right now, they're just adding fuel to the fire and encouraging the prejudice that already exists. Muslim women should be able to carry out the practices of their faith, as long as it's not harming anyone around them. Wearing a veil over their faces is harmful? Interesting.

I'm tired of ignorance. I'm tired of being ignorant myself. That's why I'm reading about international news. That's why I'm writing this. We need to look outside our little bubbles and recognize that injustice is going on in the world EVERY SINGLE DAY. There's not much I can physically do about it sitting here in podunk Lincoln, Illinois. But throughout the Bible (especially in the Old Testament), there's plenty of evidence of social injustices. And God does care about that. So we should too.

That's really all I have to say. Now I'm going to go do my Greek homework. Thanks for reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, good thoughts. It's awfully easy to see our world as THE world. I think everyone does that, or at least almost everyone. The few who seek to make a tiny difference even inside their sphere is quite an achievement.

    ReplyDelete