10.18.2008

I have a new plan for my life.

Yesterday at work I had a few minutes to spare while waiting to make a phone call, and I decided to look for an email address for a caseworker who works for Family Service of McHenry County. She's relatively new, so she wasn't listed on their website yet (as was expected). While perusing the staff list, I noted all the letters following their names. MA, MSW, LPC, LCPC, PhD, PsyD, etc. Somehow that led me to Googling certification programs in alcohol and drug abuse/addictions counseling. That search landed me on the website for Adler School of Professional Psychology.

I didn't (and still don't) know much about the school, but I had heard of it before. The basic philosophy of Adler is based on the person Adler, who believed in being socially responsible and in being knowledgeable about the issues that affect people living in our neighborhoods and communities and cities. I think this school was made for me.

My new career infatuation is to go to Adler for an MA in Counseling Psychology, then continue on to get post-graduate certification in Substance Abuse Counseling. And possibly, one day, a PsyD... to be a Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology.

I have no idea if this will really happen, obviously. Things tend to happen much differently than we think we want them to, and that's okay. I'm a flybytheseatofmypants kinda girl, so I dig that kinda thing. Usually.

As far as my future goes, I need to get through my undergrad, but I'll get there. It was good to reevaluate my plans and dreams and goals and to adjust a little bit. I need to work my butt off to get to grad school. I need to raise my GPA... which I can do, with enough motivation, determination and hard work.

The other night I went to Connect, the 20something group at my church. (I've been to a lot of 20something groups lately. I need the community desperately.) First of all, I loved it. Second, we talked about putting Jesus first place in our lives. I'm trying, striving, struggling to do this, every day. Some days I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Some days I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Thus is the result of sin, and I hate it, but I'm hopeful. After the worship and message, we broke up into groups for discussion. One guy in our group was still on his new Christian spiritual high, and even though I'm not where he is, it was so refreshing to see such unshakable faith in Jesus. He talked about how we need to pursue excellence in all we do, even if we don't understand the point in what we're doing. I needed to hear that.

It also reminds me that God will use anything we learn or do or experience for good and for a greater purpose we may never fully realize. The classes we've taken that seem monotonous and drab and pointless will be used for something, somewhere in our futures. Some of the things we've heard or learn form us in our subconscious, in ways and in places we don't even realize. There are so many things taking place in our brains, even in this very moment, that are part of our subconscious existence, it's absolutely fascinating. Take, for example, the fact that my foot is tapping to the beat of the song I'm listening to. I didn't consciously think, "Foot, move to the beat of this song," or even think, "neurons, tell my foot to move."

We're formed by our experiences and our family and friends and our education and our pursuit of Jesus, and in many ways that we are fully aware of. One of my favorite things to do is to discover a reason or explanation for something I do, think, or say. I love being able to identify a cause and effect relationship between two seemingly unconnected things in my life. But the truth of the matter is most of who I am was formed, first of all, by the hand of Jesus, before I was even born, and second of all, through more avenues than I could possibly know about. Absolutely fascinating.

At Connect, the speaker Jeff mentioned how interesting it is that the older he gets, the more all he can do is talk about Jesus. I'm finding that has been true in my life, but I'm young, and I have many years ahead of me. 

I'm trying to be different. I'm trying to be a light and I'm trying to love Jesus with all I've got. It's so hard and some days I love myself more and Jesus is in last place, but moment by moment I'm trying.

Colossians 1:15-17
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

John 16:33
I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:48 PM

    JESS!!!! I love this and I pray that God sets before you the paths you need to take to accomplish these goals! You aim high and that is great! Whatever you do in life I know will have an amazing impact on the world...you've had a huge impact on mine! I love you and miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete