12.02.2008

Ouchies and Thankies of 2008.

Two years ago, the day after Thanksgiving I posted a blog titled "Ouchies and Thankies." I had just had my wisdom teeth removed, hence the 'ouchies.' And being the day after Thanksgiving... 'thankies.'

This year, Thanksgiving was intensely stressful and emotional. I wasn't expecting this avalanche. So much so that I never stopped to appreciate the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving. I didn't recognize the many blessings in my life.

Ouchies this year include both physical and emotional pain. I ran six miles on Sunday with my mom... and I am in pain. And then I ran three miles yesterday. And did some other weight lifting and such. I am in pain.

This is the first holiday season without my grandpa. Ever.

It's the first holiday season without my brother, too. Strangely and suddenly I feel like an only child, and I don't very much like it. I miss him.

Like I said, it's been a stressful holiday season. And it isn't even close to being over. I don't want to skip it or wish it gone. Even though I do feel that way at times, I think it's important to still cherish every moment we're given. I think we can still cling to the peace and hope of Christ, knowing that through him we are strong, through him we will survive the holidays, and through him we may even enjoy them.

I am thankful.

I am thankful for a close relationship with my parents. Sometimes being close makes things more complicated, sometimes we fight more, but it's because we care and we aren't afraid to show it.

I am thankful for the best friends in the entire world. They are my best support, they are the reason I'm able to do anything... this includes everyone. So thank you. But specifically, Melissa. Tavia. Charlie. Mindy.

I am thankful for my Jesus. He is my strong tower. He is so many things, he is everything to me. But in this season of life, above all, he is my strong tower. My strength when I'm weak, and I am very weak. I'm thankful for the ability to communicate with him. I'm thankful that he accepts me and loves me. I'm thankful that I don't have to be perfect to be his.

I am thankful for the ability to write. As someone who tends to harbor my emotions, writing has been my release for the last 13 years of my life. It's central to who I am, to the way I communicate with God, to the way I express what I think and feel. It's why I spend so much time on the internet - because it's a form of written communication, and it's something I am good at. I am thankful for what writing is to me.

I am thankful for a job that is reliable and flexible.

I am thankful for my brother and his commitment to serving this country. I'm also thankful that he is alive and well.

I am thankful that I am single. The things I've learned in the last year and a half or two years have been necessary and irreplaceable.

There are many things to be thankful for. I'm sure there are other things. But for the sake of avoiding cheeseballness, I'm going to stop there.

Hope you all had a good thanksgiving. I can't believe it's December... where has 2008 gone?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:54 PM

    2008 seems as if it were a mere whisper in our past. Where did it go? I'm ready for the New Year though and new problems, new joys, new laughter, new experiences, new loves. Isn't it funny how we get to start over every year? Ha maybe I'll blog about it...

    ReplyDelete